I try to read every Groeschel book that comes out. He has become one of my favorite authors. His most recent work From this Day Forward did not disappoint. In fact, it was a fantastic read. In his book, Craig and his wife Amy co-author the book. In each chapter, Craig writes and Amy closes each chapter with her thoughts. In the book, you will be laughing out loud at times, and at other times in the book filled with conviction. I want to share a quick review of the book with you:
The make up of the book is fairly short. It is an easy read. In fact, if you have read any of Groeschel’s books, you will find that they are easy reads. There are 171 pages in the book. Groeschel has a knack for writing with extreme transparency. When referring people to his books, I always note that Groeschel is the best story-teller that I have ever read after. I do not think that I have ever laughed out loud and I do this regularly in his books. Groeschel has a way of telling stories about he and his wife that you will relate so close with that it makes it quite humorous.
Let’s talk content. The content of the book is divided into 5 sections.
1) Seek God – This chapter was phenomenal. Every couple needs to read this chapter if they do not read the rest of the book. This chapter was about making God “the one.” We spend so much time in life searching for “the one.” The one that we believe is fate for you to be with. Well, Groeschel spends this entire chapter challenging his readers to make God “The One.
2) Fight Fair – This chapter was my personal favorite. It was HILARIOUS! Craig and Amy did a great job being transparent in this chapter. They shared their struggles in which every couple can relate to. The theme of this chapter is to fight for resolution and not for the win. So many couples fight to win the current argument. Groeschel challenges readers to fight for long term resolution which is much more important than the current win.
3) Have Fun – This chapter is exactly about the title of the chapter. Have fun! Enjoy each other’s company. God desires for you to enjoy marriage and the benefits of marriage. Craig addresses sexual fulfillment in this chapter. As a book review, I would say that he could have increased his discussion about sexual fulfillment considering that is what many couples struggle with, but he addresses it briefly in this chapter.
4) Stay Pure – I appreciate Craig’s chapter on purity. This is so important and so needed. Every male in particular needs to buckle up when he gets to the part where Amy asked Craig, “Was it worth it?” This chapter will convict.
5) Never Give Up – “Until death do us part!” Stick with it, make it work. This is the motivational style of Craig in this chapter. Don’t run when there is a problem. Fight to resolve, not to win. Never give up.
Would I recommend this book? Absolutely. I think it is one of the most practical and fun-filled reads for couples. My wife has picked it up and currently reading it since I have completed the book. I also would recommend this book to singles. Craig does a fantastic job addressing singles
About Craig: Craig is the Senior Pastor for LifeChurch.tv and provides leadership and guidance for the church as a whole. Following a vision God gave Craig for a different kind of church, he and a handful of people launched LifeChurch.tv in 1996.
Note: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive/negative review.