Parents, we are getting deep into the school year, and I wanted to give you a few reminders today to challenge but also encourage you as your parent your kids.
- Discipline is an act of love– I was reluctant to put this one on this list, but it is important. Kids do not like correction. Honestly, adults do not like correction. We actually despise it. That is normal, but we have to understand that discipline and correction is an act of love. If you look at the way that God parents us as His children, He has to discipline us sometimes. It is not fun, but it is one of the ways that He proves His love for us. Parents, discipline is one of the ways that you can prove your love for your kids. Do not be afraid to discipline your kids. It hurts at the time, but it is one of the greatest acts of love that can be displayed. When we discipline, we feel that our kids will not like us anymore and will be upset at us, but we must recognize that not disciplining them is a sign that we do not love them, and disciplining them is a sign that we do love them. Also, remember the discipline of your kid from others could be act of love from their teachers and youth leaders. Look at discipline positively and not negatively.
- Communication with your kids is essential– I get it, we live in a fast paced society where we hardly communicate. Eating at a kitchen table is not normal any longer. We are all so busy that we hardly have time to communicate with one or the other. The healthiest families have communication. I would venture to say that the unhealthiest families do not have communication. Communicate with one and the other. Ask your kids about their day, their friends, their sports, their classes, their friends, and their world. You are the parent and need to be a part of their world.
- Realize the danger that is out in this world– One of the things that scares me the most is that many parents seem to not realize the potential danger that is available for our kids today. It is a scary world out there. Music is getting worse. Video games are becoming more violent and profane. Sex is becoming more and more prevalent in everything that we see and watch. Pornography is everywhere these days. You can get porn right there on your phone or tablet. The world is providing apps that allow your kids to have things that you do not know about, and providing the means to get away with it. Be educated about what is out there for your kids. Know the dangers and be honest with your kids about them.
- You are the primary discipler of your kids– The youth pastor and youth leaders only get a couple of hours a week with your kids. Ultimately, the spiritual success or lack thereof starts in the home. Parents, keep your kids accountable with their devotions each day. Do not blame the youth group or youth leader for the way that your kid may have turned out. Parents, it starts with us. Let’s take responsibility for discipling our own kids.
- You have a youth pastor rooting and praying for you– I pray for our parents daily. When I pray, I get so stoked for the potential that lies within each family that I am praying for. I want you to know that I am praying for you, but also cheering you on. I want to be your #1 fan! You got this, and we need to remember that we can defeat the odds and raise our kids to love Jesus in the world that we live in.