Youth Camp is in full swing. I have had the opportunity to check out two camps. Youth Camp is extremely important to me. I grew up going to youth camp, and I have directed a youth camp for several years as well. I have seen many come to know Jesus at youth camp, make life change decisions in their Spiritual life, and many called to serve God full-time vocationally. Over the last several years, I have noticed a decline across the board in youth camp. I hear “it is too expensive” or “We are too busy.” I respect and understand many of these although we do many fund-raisers as well as schedule the event super early. I want to share 5 reasons why this would be a good idea for your kids.
- Youth Camp is built on the Bible– This is obviously the most important reason camp is so important. Your kid will be sitting under Bible preaching during the week. It will be Biblical and practical to make the students change and become more like Jesus. What parent would not want this to happen in their kids?
- Youth Camp is relational– Some of the best friendships are made and strengthened at youth camp. Camp brings youth groups closer together.
- Youth Camp allows students to get to know their youth pastor/leader better– I believe that relationships between youth leaders and students are strengthened at youth camp.
- Youth Camp allows students to get away– Students get away from the norm, their comfort zone, their phones (some camps), and their technology. This never hurts anyone. It is good for them to get away and get out to do some recreation.
- Youth Camp is FUN– Let’s face it, one of the most fun weeks of the entire week is youth camp week. It is awesome. It is the most exciting, energetic, and exciting week of the year.
If you are not encouraging your student to go to camp, I encourage you to change that. Camp reaps eternal benefits, and camp has a potential to change the life of your teenager.