No one can adequately explain the creation of the world apart from God. There is no scientist smart enough to convince and prove the existence of the world. There is no Christian who is wise and smart enough to convince the entire world by proof. Even the secular scientists will admit that what you believe about the existence of the world around us requires faith. It requires faith in evolution or a faith in creation.
Creation– The act of God bringing the world in ordered existence
Evolution– The theory that living organisms gradually change by themselves from one kind into another.
Now, in your school or work place, you may be taught that things evolve out of nothing, maybe that raw material exploded and it formed the world. We will continue to develop into higher life forms because of Natural Selection. This process has taken millions of years.
I want to look at what the Bible says about the creation of the world. God created everything out of nothing! Creation was finished in 6 literal 24 hour days and then God rested on the 7th day.
Day 1- Light and darkness
Day 2- Heaven
Day 3- Sea, land, and vegetation
Day 4- Sun, moon, stars
Day 5- Fish and birds
Day 6- Man and animals
After seeing this, logic tells us that there had to be an intelligent designer behind the creation of the world. In my opinion, I believe it takes more faith to believe that things just happened randomly than it does to believe that there is an intelligent designer, God, behind the creation of the world.
The point is that what you believe requires faith either way. By the way, what you believe about creation will affect everything that you believe about God and the truth of His Word.
I. Confidence in God’s Powerful Word
- His Word created the Heavens– Psalm 33:6 says, “By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.” Hebrews 11:3 says, “Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the Word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.” We can go back to Genesis and see that God spoke, and things happened! The phrase, God said is used 8 times for the different aspects of creation. While the idea of evolution is based on random chance, the Bible teaches that the world came about through the power of God’s spoken word.
- His Word created the world– Genesis 1:1-31. God created the entire world out of nothing. One moment there was darkness, and then there was light. How? God’s Word. One moment there was no vegetation, the next moment there was grass and trees. One moment there was no water, and then there was water. One moment there was no man, and then there was man. How? God’s Word. God spoke everything into existence. John 1:3 says, “All things were made by Him; and without Him was not anything made that was made.”
II. Confidence in the Bible’s Account
- Real witness– Genesis 1:1 says, “In the beginning, God.” God has no beginning and no ending. This is a difficult thing to grasp and put our minds around. In evolution, there is no witness to anything that happened. In creation, we have a witness. The creator Himself.
- Real Days– Exodus 20:11 says, “For in six days the LORD made Heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them is, and rested the seventh day.” Scripture is clear, I believe, that God created the world in 6 literal days. The theory of evolution tries to replace God with time. It adds billions of years onto the existence of the world. Genesis 1:5 says that the evening and the morning were the first day. In the Bible when the word, day, is qualified by a number, it always refers to a literal 24 hour day. Since this is the case, the timing of evolution just cannot be accurate.
III. Confidence in the Creator’s Design
- The creation was designed with Purpose– The principle of Intelligent Design states, “For every design, there must be a designer.” This principle basically means that things do not just appear. Everything that you see must have had a designer behind it. Look at the fanciest of cars, clothes, houses, etc. Someone designed them. Now, look at man, the mountains, the beaches, and the wonderful majestic world. Such creation demands a creator.
- The creation was designed for God’s glory– Psalm 19:1 says, “The Heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth His handywork.” Colossians 1:16 says, “For by Him were all things created, that are in Heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him and for Him.” Man did not evolve to work, eat, and die. That would pointless. There must be a greater purpose in life. The Bible has that purpose. You were created in the image of God to exist to bring glory to God. That is your ultimate purpose in life.
So, where does your faith lie? It requires faith to believe in evolution and to believe in creation. Which belief is your faith placed in? Place your faith in the truth that God spoke this world into existence, and that your greatest purpose is to bring Him glory! My purpose is to make His name famous. It is the reason for my existence. So, are you doing this? Are you glorifying God in every area of your life?