I hope that you are doing well on this Friday morning. I hope that you have had a great week, and I am sure that you are looking forward to the weekend. I appreciate all that you do, and thanks for being faithful in allowing your students to be a regular part of the Grove student ministry.
One Change you need to be aware of: This Wednesday night, I will be out-of-town with the staff of UG on a pastor’s conference. David Sheldon will be in charge of the Grove. He is teaching on “Do I really have to change?” He is discussing the idea, “I have not seen a major change in my life, and am I still saved if I accepted Jesus.” Please remind your students to do their quiet time faithfully. Also, they need to bring their books to show and prove to the leaders that they have been actively doing their quiet time. Please let me know your feedback about the new quiet time devotionals that we have been doing. I have attached this week’s to this email.
I heard of several parents doing the quiet time booklets with their students, and I think that this is a fantastic idea! I highly recommend this, and use this as a source of conversation to try to disciple your student into knowing Jesus more!
What we are learning: Parents, this past week, I taught, “What is the Gospel” from I Corinthians 15. We looked at the death, burial, resurrection of Jesus, and how that is the simple Gospel message that wants to transform every area of our lives. If you would like to receive the notes from our messages, please let me know. We are working out a system to record our services so parents can be a part. We also are working on sharing our sermon notes online for parents as well. Hopefully, these new resources can happen soon, and we can keep you more informed on what we are learning so that you can speak to your students about it this week.
Our Featured Article: I want to share some information about an app that was released a while back. The app is called, “Snapchat.” Initially, there is nothing wrong with the app, but obviously the devil wants to pervert anything that could potentially be used for good. This app allows you to share photos with only certain individuals. You can share a “nude” photo with someone, and then you can dictate how long it is to be seen before it is gone, never to be seen again! Sexting used to be the thing, but you could see the records. With this app, it is created so that the picture is gone. It opens up for temptations, and I would caution parents about this app. I sure hope that this helps. Here is an article that explains the app a bit better! Now, remember that this app could be used for good, but I want to caution you that it also could be used for really bad stuff. My concern is that if a student wants to share photos, why use snapchat rather than Instagram or facebook? It could be that they want to hide something. Just be careful and informed about if your student has “snapchat.”
Our Upcoming Events:
- March 24 – Adult Leadership Meeting – This meeting will take place after the pm service.
- April 4-6 – Student Summit – I must have a $20.00 deposit in by this Sunday, March 3rd.
- April 7 – Pizza Party – This is for all of those who maintained 4 out of the 7 days a week for the month of March in their new Quiet Time booklets. This will be after the evening service in the gymnasium. We will have pizza, and play games in the gym. It is going to be tons of fun. Encourage your students to do their devotions, and get this free pizza party.
- April 19-20 – Regional Teens Involved – We have already began sign ups for Teens Involved. Teens Involved is a program that we do each year to train and develop the spiritual gifts of our students so that they can use them in the local church! I am challenging every student to sign up for at least 1 entry for Teens Involved! They will compete at Piedmont International University on Saturday, April 20th. If they sign up for quizzing, they will compete on Friday, April 19th. The only competition for that Friday is quizzing, everything else will be held on Saturday. The total cost for regional T.I. is $10 per person (lunch included).
- June 8 – Trampoline Park Event – This is for all students. We will be going to the Trampoline Park in Winston-Salem for an evening of fun and bouncing (Corny, I know). More information coming soon, but save the date.
- July 8-13 – Youth Camp – On July 8-13, we will be changing the location of youth camp. For years, we have attended Word of Life Camp in Hudson, FL, and we are going to change that up and attend Alpine camp in West Virginia. It is closer and less expensive so hopefully many of your students can attend. Let me encourage you to make this a priority for your student. I understand that we are busy, but this can be a life changing and extremely fun event for your student, and they will come back different from when they went. The cost is $250.00 per student, and leaders can go for $100.00. Activities include white water rafting, paintball, rope climbing, rock climbing, and much more. Hope your student makes plans to attend. R.S.V.P. via facebook here!
We are trying to keep you as informed as possible and keep the cost as low as possible. You can download the 2013 calendars for your computer by clicking here. I hope that this helps you. If you ever have questions or want quick information regarding the Grove, check out our facebook page or check out the website here. You can also follow us on twitter (@ugbcgrove) for instant information regarding the Grove. We love and appreciate you. We count it a privilege to partner with you this year. If you have any questions about our student ministry, please contact Pastor Josh anytime with the info provided below.
In His Service,
Student Pastor, Union Grove Baptist Church
Connect with Josh: