I hope that you are doing well on this Thursday morning. Let me just say up front that I am super grateful to be serving with you guys this year. We do not intend to ever take away from you are currently teaching and modeling in the home, but we do hope to enforce it. If we can ever be of any particular assistance, please contact us and let us know. We are here to help and serve with your family!
One Change you need to be aware of: Have you ever tried to get your teenager to do their personal quiet time, and they just have no desire? Some of that may be attributed to their lack of belief that the Bible is relevant to their everyday life. One of the main objectives of the Grove student ministry and your family is to get students into the Bible every single day. We are trying something new during the month of March that I think will be helpful for your students. During the month of March, David Sheldon (our ministry intern here at UGBC) and I will be teaching through a series on the Gospel on Wednesday nights. We are also writing devotions relevant on the subject of the Gospel for each week for the students to take home with them. It will be completely free for the students, and we will give them a week’s worth (7 days) each week at the Grove. They will have different questions each day about the passage they are supposed to read for that day. We will keep track each week during small groups to see if this helps students get into the Bible more than the Word of Life quiet time that we are currently using. We are working on a pizza party (free of course) for those who do at least 4 days a week for the entire month of March. Hopefully this will be an opportunity to show students the importance of a daily quiet time with God. Hopefully this new program will help get students into the Word more faithfully. We will pass out the first week of devotions to the students this Wednesday night, February 27th. We also will email them to parents as well so that you can know what we are studying as well.
Sermon from Wednesday: Parents, I want to thank you for the prayers as I spoke on, “The truth about sex” to our students this past Wednesday. The students handled it well, and did not make the night seem awkward or uncomfortable. I want you to be aware of what I was teaching especially when addressing such a difficult subject as sex. I have attached my notes to this email so that you can have an idea of how I went about teaching. I began the message with talking about the way that culture is teaching people about sex. I used movies, music, and television shows that are portraying the world’s philosophy of sex. Then, we looked at what the Bible says about sex, and how we can stay pure in an impure world. I encourage you to work with your students to implement some of these principles in their lives to protect them from falling into sexual immorality.
Our Featured Article: I want to share an article that I saw on fox news. It is entitled, “Parents can improve kids behavior by switching the TV to less violent shows.” Now, this is geared primarily toward kids, but it can be just as applicable to students. The attitudes and disrespect could be a direct result of the culture that they are living in on their computers and television screens. This study shows that improving and replacing violent shows and video games can improve a child’s behavior. Just thought that this was interesting. Read the article here.
Our Featured Event: This week’s featured event is the Student Summit! The Student Summit is a powerful youth conference in Jacksonville, Florida. It is an intense and energetic worship setting, but will be extremely fun as well. The students and leaders attending will experience God in a great way as well as have fun on Inflatable’s, paintball, rock climbing wall, and many tournaments to sign up for. The cost is only $65.00 per person, and this includes lodging, meals, and activities. I highly encourage all students to attend. Parents: you are welcome as well! The dates are April 4-6, and we have permission from Mr. Steinhaus to get students out of school. I need a $20.00 deposit in from your student by Wednesday, February 27th if they want to attend. R.S.V.P. via facebook here.
Drinks: We are in need of parents to bring drinks for our Wednesday night program. We are in need of Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper the most so if you would be willing to bring in a 12 pack, that would be helpful. Please no diet drinks.
Our Upcoming Events:
- March 9 – Teen Spectacular – This is a community service opportunity. The Grove will be assisting at the Spectacular in Winston-Salem on March 9th. All students are encouraged to come and help serve the community. Thousands will gather for a fun day of inflatable’s, rides, food, etc. It is an opportunity to show the love of Jesus as well as share about His love. Help us share that love by signing up. Please see Pastor Josh for more information.
- April 4-6 – Student Summit – Check out the Information above in “Our featured event” section!
- April 19-20 – Regional Teens Involved – We have already began sign ups for Teens Involved. Teens Involved is a program that we do each year to train and develop the spiritual gifts of our students so that they can use them in the local church! I am challenging every student to sign up for at least 1 entry for Teens Involved! They will compete at Piedmont International University on Saturday, April 20th. If they sign up for quizzing, they will compete on Friday, April 19th. The only competition for that Friday is quizzing, everything else will be held on Saturday. The total cost for regional T.I. is $10 per person (lunch included).
- June 8 – Trampoline Park Event – This is for all students. We will be going to the Trampoline Park in Winston-Salem for an evening of fun and bouncing (Corny, I know). More information coming soon, but save the date.
- July 8-13 – Youth Camp – On July 8-13, we will be changing the location of youth camp. For years, we have attended Word of Life Camp in Hudson, FL, and we are going to change that up and attend Alpine camp in West Virginia. It is closer and less expensive so hopefully many of your students can attend. Let me encourage you to make this a priority for your student. I understand that we are busy, but this can be a life changing and extremely fun event for your student, and they will come back different from when they went. The cost is $250.00 per student, and leaders can go for $100.00. Activities include white water rafting, paintball, rope climbing, rock climbing, and much more. Hope your student makes plans to attend. R.S.V.P. via facebook here!
We are trying to keep you as informed as possible and keep the cost as low as possible. You can download the 2013 calendars for your computer by clicking here. I hope that this helps you. If you ever have questions or want quick information regarding the Grove, check out our facebook page or check out the website here. You can also follow us on twitter (@ugbcgrove) for instant information regarding the Grove. We love and appreciate you. We count it a privilege to partner with you this year. If you have any questions about our student ministry, please contact Pastor Josh anytime with the info provided below.
In His Service,
Student Pastor, Union Grove Baptist Church
W: 336-764-2103 C: 336-953-6427 F: 336-764-8657
Connect with Josh: