1. Gospel: Recovering the Power that made Christianity Revolutionary by J.D. Greear. This is easily the best and most challenging book that I have read this year. Pastor J.D. is the lead pastor of the mega church, “Summit Church” in Cary, NC. They have several campuses throughout the triangle area.
2. Jesus + Nothing = Everything by Tullian Tchividjian. This book will challenge you to realize that God’s love for you is totally dependent on Him and His character, and not on your performance!
3. The Christian Atheist by Craig Groeschel. This book challenged me in my personal desire to walk with Jesus as much as any other book that I have read this year. I highly encourage you to read this book if you have not already.
4. Weird by Craig Groeschel. Craig is one of the best story tellers there are. He is also probably the most transparent writer that I have ever read by. This book like the last one I mentioned will challenge you in your personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
5. Twisdom by Matt Lawson. Matt is the high school student pastor at First Baptist Church of Woodstock, GA. He is an incredible student pastor, and in this book, he pours out some incredible wisdom relating to student ministry and leadership. It is geared toward student pastors so make sure that you purchase this book soon.
6. Greater by Steven Furtick. This was one of the most motivational and encouraging books that I have read this year. Pastor Steven has a gift of encouraging Christians to go deeper in their personal commitment to following Christ.
7. More than Dodgeball by Joshua Griffin. Joshua is the student pastor at Saddleback church. He also blogs regularly at morethandodgeball.com. It is arguably the best student ministry blog out there. He knows his stuff and is a veteran in student ministry. This book will give you practical thoughts pertaining to student ministry.
8. Simple Church by Thom Rainer. This book is a great book, and many churches need to take to the simple church model suggested in this book. I believe that over the last several years, more and more churches have gone to this model, and I look for many more to do the same soon. This book is practical, and a must read for every church leader!
9. Soul Detox by Craig Groeschel. Now, obviously you can see that I am a Groeschel fan. He is a great speaker, but one thing that interests me about Groeschel is his transparency. He admits his struggles and faults for you, and helps you practically live out your faith. This book will help you stay clean from the world and its corruption that it can bring into your life.
10. The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler. I love hearing Matt Chandler preach. He has an incredible testimony, but an incredible gift in preaching. He is definitely one of my favorite preachers out there. This is a very deep read so be prepared.