Good morning Parents and Leaders. I hope that you are doing well. I do apologize for not getting this email out to you last week, but I did not get around to it, and plus you could handle a week without hearing from me, I am sure! Well, we are back at it with this edition of, “Get Connected.” I hope that this informs and equips you today.
Our Featured Resource: Today, I want to share a helpful resource that I have come across of recently. It is called, parentzilla. It is a great resource for youth pastors to help resource parents. Well, I was looking at their stuff, and they have some great practical articles that can help you in struggles that you may be having with your teenager. You can go here for a complete listing of the free blog posts that they have to offer. I am sure that these will be a help to you. Maybe you are struggling with disrespect, attitude, your teen’s computer, pornography, social media, or something else- This listing of blog posts probably has some practical training for you. I hope that this resource equips you to better effectively parent your teenager.
Our Featured Events: This week’s featured event is the annual progressive dinner! The progressive dinner is from 6:30-10:00 pm tomorrow, December 8th! The cost is totally FREE for everyone who attends. Plan on coming hungry! If you or your student did not sign up, you can still attend. Just show up at the church at 6:30 pm, and we would love to have you. All parents and leaders are encouraged to attend with us. Let us know if you are coming. You may R.S.V.P. via facebook here.
Our Upcoming Events:
- December 8 – Progressive Dinner – This is our annual Christmas outing in the Grove. We eat a different course meal at different houses. This is completely free, and is always one of the highest attended nights in the Grove. We will meet at the church at 6:30 pm, and return at 10 pm. If you would be willing to provide a meal for this event, please let me know. Remember that you can go in with another family to purchase the food. Parents are welcome at this event as long as you sign up ahead of time. R.S.V.P. for the event via facebook here.
- December 12 – Christmas Night @ The Grove – All students are encouraged to dress in their Christmas attire. We will sing Christmas songs, and have everything decorated for Christmas. Students will have a chance of winning something as well in the games. Have your student at the Grove for this night if at all possible. It will be from 6-8 pm in the gym at the church. Also, encourage your student to invite their friends.
- December 19 & 26 – No Grove! Merry Christmas!!!!
- January 6 – Parent/Leader Luncheon – This will be held from 12:15 pm until 2:00 pm, and will be a pot luck meal. All parents of students and small group leaders are encouraged to attend. Childcare will be provided. You need to R.S.V.P. here for the event! Going to that link will take you to a form you will need to fill out with the number of people attending in your family as well as childcare. Also, to find out more about the parent luncheon check it out on facebook by going here.
- January 25-26 – Ski Retreat – We will leave at 11:30 am, and drive to Winterplace Ski Resort. Then, we will return Saturday morning to the church at approximately 2:00 am. The rates for this year are really good. You can tube for $28 per person. You can ski for $36 per person (lift ticket, rentals, and lessons included), and you snowboard for $55 per person (lift ticket, rentals, and lessons included). You can download a registration form here. You must be paid and signed up by Wednesday, January 9th! R.S.V.P. here via facebook.
- January 27 – Small Group Leader Mandatory Meeting – This meeting is very important for all small group leaders to attend! The meeting will be held after the evening service in the fellowship hall. Refreshments will be served, and it will be free. All leaders are encouraged to attend, and childcare will be provided. We will be going over some important changes, vision, and event information for the upcoming year.
- April 4-6 – Student Summit – This is a youth conference in Jacksonville, Florida. You can get out of school for this event, and parents, I highly encourage you to allow your student to attend. This can be a life changing event! We were able to attend 2 years ago, and God worked in some incredible ways. (More info coming soon) BTW: This is held at a college so you can get college day credits for skipping school. The total cost for this event is $65 per person! We will need leaders so please plan to come leaders, if possible!
- April 19-20 – Regional Teens Involved – We have already began sign ups for Teens Involved. Teens Involved is a program that we do each year to train and develop the spiritual gifts of our students so that they can use them in the local church! I am challenging every student to sign up for at least 1 entry for Teens Involved! They will compete at Piedmont International University on Saturday, April 20th. If they sign up for quizzing, they will compete on Friday, April 19th. The total cost for regional T.I. is $10 per person (lunch included).
- July 8-13 – Youth Camp – On July 8-13, we will be changing the location of youth camp. For years, we have attended Word of Life Camp in Hudson, FL, and we are going to change that up and attend Alpine camp in West Virginia. It is closer and less expensive so hopefully many of your students can attend. Let me encourage you to make this a priority for your student. I understand that we are busy, but this can be a life changing and extremely fun event for your student, and they will come back different from when they went. The cost is $250.00 per student, and leaders can go for $100.00. Activities include white water rafting, paintball, rope climbing, rock climbing, and much more. Hope your student makes plans to attend.
We are trying to keep you as informed as possible and keep the cost as low as possible. If you ever have questions or want quick information regarding the Grove, check out our facebook page or check out the website here. You can also follow us on twitter (@ugbcgrove) for instant information regarding the Grove. We love and appreciate you. We count it a privilege to partner with you this year. If you have any questions about our student ministry, please contact Pastor Josh anytime with the info provided below.
In His Service,
Student Pastor, Union Grove Baptist Church
W: 336-764-2103 C: 336-953-6427 F: 336-764-8657
Connect with Josh: