Good morning Parents and Leaders. I hope that you are doing well today! You all have really been on my heart this week, and I want you to know I pray for each of you regularly. I understand and recognize that parenting and leading students is very difficult. You can do it though through the power and leading of God. I try to use this weekly newsletter to inform you best that I can so that you can look at what is coming up and plan ahead. I also like to provide resources for you in parenting your teenager. I hope that this newsletter is a help to you.
Our Featured Resource: I have been slack at sharing resources and articles as of late for parenting teens, but I have a very practical one that I encourage every parent of a teenager to read. It has a few good thoughts that may help you. Most of your students have a personal cell phone that they use. What do you do when they use it for evil? Maybe they text a picture that they shouldn’t, maybe they facebook or tweet something that is hurtful or inappropriate, how do you handle it? Just a quick side note: if your student has a social media site, you SHOULD have access to their account, and I recommend checking it regularly. Cell Phones can be used for good, but in some ways if we are not careful can be used for bad. Here is a blog article entitled, “Can I smash my Daughter’s Cell Phone?” You need to go here and read it.
Our Featured Events: This week’s featured event is the middle school gym night event! This Sunday night, November 18th, we have our middle school gym night. We will be playing games in the gym from 8:00 pm until 10:00 pm. We will be playing wiffle (no idea how to spell that) ball, dodge ball, basketball, and other games in the gym. Your student will have the time of his life, and they will not want to miss this. The cost is only $5 per person, and leaders go free. Pizza is included. Parents are welcome at both of these events! You can R.S.V.P. for the gym night via facebook here.
Our Upcoming Events:
- November 17 – Geocaching High School Event – This event has been canceled! I hate to say it, but we did not have enough people interested so we are going to call it off. Maybe we can do it another night.
- November 18 – Middle School Gym Night – This will take place in the gymnasium at the church directly after the evening service. We encourage all students attending to attend church first at 6 pm, and then stay after for pizza and games. We will play games, and eat pizza. The cost per student is $5, and leaders are free! We need leaders to sign up for this event, and you can sign up in your small group or on facebook here. PARENTS ARE WELCOME!
- December 8 – Progressive Dinner – This is our annual Christmas outing in the Grove. We eat a different course meal at different houses. This is completely free, and is always one of the highest attended nights in the Grove. We will meet at the church at 5 pm, and return at 9 pm. If you would be willing to provide a meal for this event, please let me know. Remember that you can go in with another family to purchase the food. Parents are welcome at this event as long as you sign up ahead of time. R.S.V.P. for the event via facebook here.
- January 6 – Parent/Leader Luncheon – This will be held from 12:15 pm until 2:00 pm, and will be a pot luck meal. All parents of students and small group leaders are encouraged to attend. Childcare will be provided, and we will send a sign up form your way via email over the next few weeks!
- January 25-26 – Ski Retreat – We will leave at 11:30 am, and drive to Winterplace Ski Resort. Then, we will return Saturday morning to the church at approximately 2:00 am. The rates for this year are really good. You can tube for $28 per person. You can ski for $36 per person (lift ticket, rentals, and lessons included), and you snowboard for $55 per person (lift ticket, rentals, and lessons included). You can download a registration form here. You must be paid and signed up by Wednesday, January 9th! R.S.V.P. here via facebook.
- January 27 – Small Group Leader Mandatory Meeting – This meeting is very important for all small group leaders to attend! The meeting will be held after the evening service in the fellowship hall. Refreshments will be served, and it will be free. All leaders are encouraged to attend, and childcare will be provided. We will be going over some important changes, vision, and event information for the upcoming year.
- April 4-6 – Student Summit – This is a youth conference in Jacksonville, Florida. You can get out of school for this event, and parents, I highly encourage you to allow your student to attend. This can be a life changing event! We were able to attend 2 years ago, and God worked in some incredible ways. (More info coming soon) BTW: This is held at a college so you can get college day credits for skipping school. The total cost for this event is $65 per person! We will need leaders so please plan to come leaders, if possible!
- April 19-20 – Regional Teens Involved – We have already began sign ups for Teens Involved. Teens Involved is a program that we do each year to train and develop the spiritual gifts of our students so that they can use them in the local church! I am challenging every student to sign up for at least 1 entry for Teens Involved! They will compete at Piedmont International University on Saturday, April 20th. If they sign up for quizzing, they will compete on Friday, April 19th. The total cost for regional T.I. is $10 per person (lunch included).
- July 8-13 – Youth Camp – On July 8-13, we will be changing the location of youth camp. For years, we have attended Word of Life Camp in Hudson, FL, and we are going to change that up and attend Alpine camp in West Virginia. It is closer and less expensive so hopefully many of your students can attend. Let me encourage you to make this a priority for your student. I understand that we are busy, but this can be a life changing and extremely fun event for your student, and they will come back different than when they went. The cost is $250.00 per student, and leaders can go for $100.00. Activities include white water rafting, paintball, rope climbing, rock climbing, and much more. Hope your student makes plans to attend.
We are trying to keep you as informed as possible and keep the cost as low as possible. If you ever have questions or want quick information regarding the Grove, check out our facebook page or check out the website here. You can also follow us on twitter (@ugbcgrove) for instant information regarding the Grove. We love and appreciate you. We count it a privilege to partner with you this year. If you have any questions about our student ministry, please contact Pastor Josh anytime with the info provided below.
In His Service,
Student Pastor, Union Grove Baptist Church
W: 336-764-2103 C: 336-953-6427 F: 336-764-8657