One thing this past year that I have gotten into more than ever is trying to equip and resource parents. I send out a weekly newsletter, and I try to include a parenting article or parenting resource for them to be equipped to be more effective parents. We all need training, and it is important for the youth pastor to resource the parents. Here are a few of the top resources that I would encourage you to suggest for your parents:
- The Source for Parents– This is a website that is designed by Jonathan McKee. He regularly posts articles dealing with youth culture and how parents are to deal with it. He also gives practical suggestions for parents as well. He is the parent of a teenager himself so he comes across very transparent as well. I highly recommend his books as well.
- The Youth Culture Report– I have had the privilege of connecting with these guys over the past year. It has been a joy to build this relationship, and I want to share this resource with you. These guys produce and share some of the top youth culture topics out there. It is a great website to check weekly on what is new in youth trends. You can follow them on twitter for quick access, and they have a regularly updated website.
- Focus on the Family– This website has a wide range of articles that are practical and can help you with parenting your student. They are very practical and get all the way down to how to effectively discipline your teenager.
- The Center for Parent/Youth Understanding (CPYU)– This is another great resource for parents on youth culture and understanding it. It helps you relate to your teenager, and more effectively understand how they are designed.
- Orange Parents– Once again, this website is designed to give you practical tips on better parenting. The Orange group specializes in family ministry, and here they give resources, articles, and podcasts to help parents across the world become better spiritual leaders in their homes!
Question: What other Resources do you suggest and share for parents to receive helpful hints?