I started the book, Gospel by J.D. Greear about 3 months ago, and got barely into it, and quit. I got busy, and stopped. Then, i picked it back up 2 weeks ago, and read the entire book in 2 days. J.D. is the lead pastor of the Summit Church in the Raleigh-Durham area, and the Lord is using him in incredible ways to reach those cities and colleges with the Gospel. The book, Gospel is the best and most challenging book that I have read all year aside from the Word of God. Here are some things I loved about the book:
- Gospel is theological in its content– I enjoy reading theology! J.D. is an incredible teacher of the Word. He is one of those pastors and writers who can take some heavy theological content and make it practical and understandable. That is difficult to do, but he does it in this book!
- Gospel is practical in its content– I read the book in 2 days, and it is one of the most practical books that I have read. It pertains to our position with Christ right now as believers. It pertains to the Gospel that saved us now acting out in our lives through means of actions.
- Gospel teaches us that our position in Christ is not dependent on our works– This is something that in many churches is not clearly taught. I would say most churches believe this, but are not teaching it nor modeling it. I have been in churches who believed this, but the model shows differently. I am glad to say that my actions each day do not earn God’s love and favor. God already loves me right now regardless of my next action, and His love cannot change because of my next action!
- Gospel teaches us that regenerate faith will change your life– This is so important. We are not saved by our works, only by Christ work, but the Gospel that saves us is still powerful to change us and grow us to be more like Jesus!
- Gospel is Jesus centered– He does not focus too much on works or any other subject, but Jesus. The entire book points its way back to Jesus. J.D. keeps Jesus the main thing throughout his book, and I appreciate it, because after all, Jesus is the main thing!
If you have not read the book, Gospel by J.D. Greear, pick it up today, and get to reading. Just a warning, it is a difficult book to put down (the reason why I read it in 48 hours).
J.D. Greear, Ph.D., (born May, 1973) did his degree work in Christian and Islamic theology at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, NC. He is Lead Pastor of The Summit Church in Raleigh-Durham, NC. The Summit’s vision is to plant 1,000 churches in by the year 2040. Currently, they have planted 11 and have several church planting teams stationed around the world. J.D. has authored Breaking the Islam Code (published Feb 1, 2010, Harvest House) and GOSPEL: Recovering the Power that Made Christianity Revolutionary(published October 1, 2011, B&H). He lives in Raleigh, NC with his gorgeous wife Veronica and his four ridiculously cute kids, Kharis, Alethia, Ryah and Adon.