Networking is so important! In fact, it in a lot of ways helps motivate student pastors to keep on plugging away in a field of such discouragement as student ministry. I encourage all student pastors to network regularly with local and distanced student pastors. It is important for your health. So, you want to get in on this network thing, or just expand the network you already have. Where are the best places to network?
- Facebook Groups– I am involved in several facebook groups involving student ministry. There are several good ones, and some not so good ones. This is a great place to interact with other youth pastors across the world who you can ask for prayer, ask for ideas, resource sharing, and thoughts. I love interacting with these different groups, because each group brings a different flavor. I encourage you to get into these groups and participate regularly.
- Twitter– Most of the people who I follow on twitter involve student ministry. If you follow them, connect with them. I connect regularly through DM’s and mentions on twitter with other student pastors and student ministry organizations. Also, follow hashtags on twitter. I follow them for great links to blogs and thoughts about student ministry! The best hashtags for student ministry are: #youthmin, #stumin, #uthmin, and #studentministry.
- Local Youth Pastor Gathering– Every student pastor needs this! If you do not have one in your area, start one! I have been involved in a church where we did not have one of these each month, and I have been involved in a church where I have been involved every month in a gathering, and I can vouch- it is so important for you to be involved in a monthly gathering.
- Lunch Appointments– I try to use lunch regularly to connect with other student pastors. Do not be afraid to connect with someone via twitter or another avenue, and then try to meet them for lunch. It can build and strengthen the connection, and you both will be encouraged.
- Phone Calls– I try to make a couple of specific phone calls each month to build connections with new student pastors that I have not recently connected with. Use this resource and connect with other pastors to sharpen your skills and knowledge on student ministry.
- Blog Comments– I try to comment on blogs regularly to connect and meet new people. Also, it is a great opportunity to connect with leaders who are doing HUGE things in student ministry as well. I have probably met more people through my blog than other areas of networking.
[Question] Do you Network regularly with other Student Pastors? If so, where do you connect at?
[Question] Have we connected? If not, send me a direct email at: firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on the blog below so we can connect.