I come across tons of student ministry, leadership, and improvement blogs! Many people share different blogs with me to see if I will check them out. Honestly, there are tons of good blogs out there. I have seen many that I have added directly to my reader, because I will go back and visit them again. On the other hand, I have come across some that I would not return too. I want to give you the top 5 reasons I will return to your blog:
- Your blog must be organized– This is a major pet peeve of mine, but I get frustrated when blogs or websites are not organized! Do not put a bunch of stuff everywhere to make your blog confusing. Keep it simple, and easy to find certain posts and pages.
- Your blog must be updated– This is another aggravation about websites and blogs. I have had this happen throughout my browsing experience, and it frustrates me. If you are not going to consistently blog, just get rid of it. I know that sounds harsh, but seriously. Blogging takes time, and when you create a blog, you should factor that in. If you do not have the time to blog, do not worry about blogging.
- Your blog must be concise– When I say short, I am talking between 500 and 800 words. Many bloggers feel every post should be a book, and they treat it that way. So, they keep writing and writing, and at the end, the post could have been divided into 5 blog posts.
- Your blog must be unique in some way– It needs to scream you. Your personality needs to come out in the blog. Now, this may sound crazy, but if you are only mirroring another blog, or only writing content that is being written about by every other writer, I might not visit your site as frequently. I hope that this makes sense. Be original, and write from your position and experiences.
- Your blog must have resources– Honestly, I enjoy reading. I spend a couple of hours a week just reading through blogs in my reader. The blogs that I visit the most though are the blogs who are not afraid to share some great resources that are out there! If you come across something free, share it with your readers, and it will help engage them, and bring them back to your site if they know there is something valuable to find there!
[Question:] What makes you come back and visit certain websites/blogs?