One common conversation that student pastors have regularly is what we can personally do to take things to a new level. Here are a few things that you can do to prepare yourself to move to the next level of student ministry!
- Seek God’s Will more – So often in student ministry, we are focused on the coolest website, facebook page, or program, and we forget that these things cannot change a life. God is the only one who can change a life. Determine to seek His will above what looks cool. Remember, in the end, God’s will trumps our will, and will always be the coolest 🙂
- Exemplify the life of Christ – I am very hard on myself when it comes to leadership. If the students are not growing in their walk with Christ, I immediately look to myself to make sure that I am walking with Jesus. Maybe the reason our student ministry is not going to the next level is because we are not showing them how to walk with Christ by our own life. Students should be able to follow you and I as we follow Christ.
- Develop a mission plan – Our mission is two-fold, and from God: We exist to reach students with the Gospel, and to disciple them into becoming devoted followers of Christ. This is our simple mission statement. To take your ministry to a new level, you must take this statement, and keep this at the core of everything that you do. All activities, events, camps, mission trips, etc should back this mission up! It gives your ministry purpose, and it is time we start living life on purpose.
- Focus more on relationships – Relationships are more important to students today than ever. They crave acceptance deep down (probably not as outward as they used too) more than ever. Focus on new relationships. Find students who you do not know that well, and make it a point to get to know them better.
- Grow a stronger team of leaders – I believe that we go as far as the leadership goes. We must be building a team of adult leaders who are emulating Christ, and duplicating themselves through the students. This takes time and personal discipleship from the student pastor. You say, I only have 4 students, grow a leader for them. We should be building a leadership team no matter what size our ministry is. Who are you working with personally to grow strong enough to be a part of your leadership team?
If you have a thought about taking your student ministry to another level, please feel free to share it below: