If you have been keeping up with the entertainment industry recently, you will know the name, Colton Dixon! Colton was the most recent contestant to be kicked off of American Idol. Now, before I go any further, I am not a huge fan of the show. I actually have not seen any episodes this entire season. I have lost interest in the show over the last few years. Anyway, my wife occasionally watches the show, and she had it on last Thursday! She mentioned that this kid Colton was a believer. Well, for a student pastor, that interested me so I began to watch the show. He was then put in the bottom 3 (the 3 contestants with the lowest number of votes). He then was kicked off. I have never seen the show, but was suddenly screaming at America for this ridiculous move. Ok, I was not going that far, but I was a bit disappointed. We were shocked, because he seemed to be very talented, and popular. It was in that moment of discouragement, I noticed the genuine faith of Colton Dixon. He got down on his knees, and sang the song, “Everything” by the band, Lifehouse! With his arms raised high, he proclaimed that “God was all He wants, He is everything…” Colton did not need the fame that Hollywood had to offer, he wanted Jesus. Colton was a legit Christian, and he used the platform that God gave him for His honor and glory! You know everyone has been given a platform to share Jesus, and so often, we fail at making His name known with our platform. Colton made Jesus’ name famous with the platform that he had been given by God. Here are a few thoughts from Colton’s use of his platform that you can use in yours:
- Profess Jesus in word, but also in need– You know there are a lot of people who profess Jesus with their mouths, but their lives claim something totally different. If you are going to use whatever platform God gives you to share your faith with this world, you must profess Jesus in word and in need. You cannot say one thing and do the other. In basic honest terms, do not be a hypocrite.
- Remember it is about Jesus, not you– If you have never heard the song, everything, it speaks to this point so clearly, and should you look it up right now! In fact click here to hear Colton sing the song. Colton remembered at an incredible large platform that still it was about Jesus, and not himself. We need to make much of Jesus, and allow Him to increase while we decrease.
- Stay faithful to Jesus– Colton was able to stay faithful to Jesus in the midst of this platform. I have seen many believers stumble when given such a large platform, but it is good to see Colton and several others stay faithful to Jesus no matter if they are a nobody, or if they become somebody! Remember no matter what, it is because you came in contact with somebody, and His name is Jesus!
- Take every opportunity to praise Jesus– I have seen Colton praise His Lord throughout this entire process.
- Try to handle adversity in a Godly and classy way