This is one of Jesus’s most popular parables. It is the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus. Lazarus was a beggar and the rich man was in fact rich (since that is what the parable calls him). He had money, and he would not give to Lazarus. Lazarus would beg, and the rich man would have nothing to do with him, because all he cared about was money. Well, the men died, and the beggar went to be with Jesus, and the rich man opened up his eyes in Hell. What a scary place to be after having all of the money you could ask for. Now, before we get into the thoughts about hell, I want to define two terms for you to make sure you understand them.
Hell (Hades)- The intermediate place of torment for unsaved souls as they await their final judgment at the great white throne
Lake of fire– A literal lake of fire that will be the place of eternal punishment for Satan, his angels, and all who are not found written in the book of life.
Here are a few thoughts about Hell for you today:
- Heaven and Hell are both real. Hebrews 9:27 says, “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.” After we die, we will go to one of two places. For the believer it means forever with our Lord and Savior. For the unbeliever, it means to be away from God’s presence and in torment. II Corinthians 5:8 says, “We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.” Hell is a real place. There are people in hell right now. Hell is not their final home. Revelation 20:15 says, “And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.” This is the final destination for the unbeliever.
- Hell is a horrible place
- It is a place of torment V. 23
- It is a thirsty place V. 24
- It is a place of fire V. 24
- It is a place of remembrance V. 25
- You cannot leave-V. 26
3. After death, it is too late to make the decision. If you look, the rich man wanted to change his mind. He could never change his destiny. He determined his destiny by not accepting Jesus as his Savior. I heard someone say, “Only one heart beat separates you from eternity.” That is quick so you better be ready right now. Matthew 6:34 says, “Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.” We are not promised tomorrow. You are not even promised that you will make it home this evening! This rich man wanted to make his decisions after the fact. It was too late. If you do not make your decision now, it could very well be too late.
4. Hell is a motivation for believers V. 27-31. This should motivate us as believers to witness more. We should seek to be at outreach to share Christ and the new life He brings to others. Why? Because the reality and horrible place of Hell. Make a decision tonight to share the new life you have found in Christ with someone this week!
If you have any questions about Heaven or Hell, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I can discuss further with you about how to avoid this awful place called, hell.