Revelation 20:11-15: Here we have John writing while on the Isle of Patmos. He is writing about the visions that God has shown him. Here, he gets an incredible glimpse of the Great White Throne judgment. Now, the Bible speaks of two specific judgments.
The Judgment seat of Christ. This is where the saved are judged according to their works whether they be good or bad. This is the judgment that is based upon our rewards and the way that we lived.
Great White Throne: The place of the final judgment for the unsaved
These two judgments are very important to every single person that walks on the face of the earth, because every single person will be at one of these two judgments. The judgment seat of Christ will be the judgment where believers will be rewarded for their service here on earth for the Lord while the Great White Throne judgment will be the judgment where unbelievers will be eternally cast into the lake of fire. I want to give you a few thoughts today about the Great White Throne judgment that will help you:
- Jesus Christ will be the judge. John 5:22 says, “For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto His Son:” Acts 17:31 says, “Because He hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom He hath ordained; whereof He hath given assurance unto all men, in that He hath raised Him from the dead.” To accept Jesus is the only way men can be saved. So, He will pass along the final judgment for unbelievers for not accepting Him.
- Every sinner will be judged and thrown into the lake of fire. The saved have already been resurrected and judged according to Revelation 20:4-6. So, the dead speaking here must speak solely of the unbelievers. Every unbeliever will be present at this judgment where Jesus Christ looks into the Lambs book of Life to see if they have accepted Him as their Savior or rejected Him. The great white throne will have Jesus judging every unbeliever. They will all be judged for the same crime, and that is unbelief. Status, popularity, riches, or accomplishments will mean nothing at this judgment. There are going to be rich people, and poor people being judged because of their unbelief. God is no respecter of persons (Romans 2:11).
- Sinners have no defense. Warren Wiersbe said, “The Great white throne judgment will be nothing like our modern court cases. At the White throne, there will be a judge but no jury, a prosecution but no defense, a sentence but no appeal. No one will be able to defend himself or accuse God of unrighteousness.” Unbelievers will not be given the chance to talk their way out of it. Their “good deeds” will mean nothing at this time, because they committed the same crime, unbelief.
- Every unbeliever will be declared guilty– Their fate has already been determined up to this point. It is the guilt of unbelief that gets them to this judgment. Anyone whose name is not written in the book of life will be cast eternally into the lake of fire (Revelation 20). No one walks away free from this judgment.
- No one will be given a second chance– Now, this is where many people have a hard time dealing with the love of God. If God is love, wouldn’t He give us a second chance? He has already given you chance after chance. You see, every single person walking on earth has been given the chance to accept Jesus as Savior. He is 100% love, but at the same time, He is 100% holy, 100% just, and 100% righteous. In the midst of these, He cannot allow sin to continue to go unnoticed and unjudged. Think of it this way: If your best friend got brutally murdered, and the guilty person stood before the judge, and said, I did a lot of good in my life, and this one thing I messed up in is minor compared to the good that I have done. If the judge just let him go free, would he be a good or bad judge? Obviously, anyone would say he would be a bad one, because he allowed the guilty to go free. For the greatest crime that anyone could ever commit unbelief cannot go unpunished. It must be judged for God to still be holy and just. There has to be a consequence for unbelief, and the great white throne judgment is the final consequence where the good judge comes to judge the unbelievers for their unbelief.
We all have been given the chance of Salvation right now so that we can be eternally saved from the wrath and judgment that is to come. Will you choose to accept Him as your Savior, and will the believers choose to share their faith out of the love for others and the desire to not allow anyone that they know to come in contact with the great white throne judgment.If you would like to know more about knowing Jesus as your Savior and escaping the Great White Throne judgment, please email me at email@example.com, and we can connect further.