Okay, let’s just be honest, I am a bit guilty of coveting and lusting about the many tweets and facebook posts regarding the Simply Youth Ministry Conference. I have been tempted to defriend or unfollow many of them, because they were rubbing it in. Okay, I am totally kidding. I actually enjoyed it, because it as close as I can be this year. First of all, I have never been to the conference. Secondly, I WANT TO GO SO BAD! Our budget has struggled to produce the funds to go, but I spoke with my wife this weekend, and next year, I am making arrangements to attend. Here are a few reasons why I will be going (at least really try to go) next year:
- Encouragement– Wow, I have already been so encouraged by the challenges in the discussion panels as well as the general sessions. Francis Chan is beast, and threw out a challenging message. I was not able to see the message online so I had to read all about it on the tweets and the different bloggers who blogged about the message.
- Practical Student Ministry Conversations– From what I have heard, this is the best conference on providing practical youth ministry conversations. I love the panel discussions with guys who are doing student ministry in different settings and environments; it is just practical discussions on the different problems and challenges of student ministry in today’s generation. I could discuss student ministry all day, and this is basically what you do at the Simply Youth Ministry Conference.
- Laughter– This could fall under encouragement, but there have been some funny guys in the panel, and I have enjoyed them.
- Refreshment– This seems to be a refreshing conference. It seems to be a very laid back conference for you, and it can refresh you personally, spiritually, emotionally, and physically.
- Connections and friendships– Wow, this is one of the best things that I have noticed about the conference! I look at the trending topic of #SYMC, and I see how many different people have built relationships with other student pastors at the conference. I love meeting new people and building new relationships so this is one HUGE reason to attend or think about attending the conference.
If you could not attend the conference (like myself), check out the list of bloggers and read their blogs to find out exactly what is going on there! Shout out to Josh Griffith for listing the bloggers who are regularly blogging about SYMC. Check out the list here.