One of the most controversial subjects of eschatology (study of the end times) is the Millennial Reign of Christ. There are several different views on the Millennial Reign of Jesus Christ. Let’s look at the Bible to see what the Bible says about the doctrine of the Millennial Reign of Christ.
Revelation 20:1-6 says:
1And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
4And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
Timeline of Future Events up to the Millennial Reign of Christ: The Rapture>>>>The 7 year tribulation begins>>>>the antichrist comes onto the scene to make peace>>>>the great tribulation (the last 3 ½ years of the tribulation)>>>>The Second coming of Christ>>>>The battle of Armageddon in which Christ defeats the antichrist and the armies who rose up against Him>>>>antichrist and false prophet cast into the lake of fire>>>>>>Then, what???
This is the beginning of the Millennial Reign of Christ! So, what is the Millennial Reign of Christ?
First, let’s look at the definition of the word, Millennium. The Word, Millennium, comes from the two Latin words, mille meaning “thousand” and annum meaning, “year.” When we hear the Millennial reign of Christ, we are specifically speaking about the literal 1,000 year reign of Jesus Christ on the earth.
Millennium: A period of 1,000 years immediately following the second coming of Christ when He will reign on the earth.
I. 3 Different Views about the Millennium
- Postmillennialism- This is the belief that Christ will work through the established systems of preaching and teaching to root out evil and bring improvement to the world. This view also says that Christ will return after the Millennial.
- Amillennialism– This is the belief that the millennial reign of Christ is in effect now, and that the 1,000 years mentioned is merely a symbol of God’s kingdom promises throughout the Old Testament
- Premillenniaslim– This is the belief that the millennium will occur after the Battle of Armgeddon, and is a literal 1,000 year period where Christ will reign on earth
- Which view is accurate? According to Scripture, and the literal interpretation of Scripture, the premillenniaslim is the most accurate. The Bible clearly says that Christ will reign on earth for a thousand years.
II. What will happen during the Millennium? Revelation 20:1-6
- Satan will be bound for 1,000 years. Satan will not have any power during the reign of Christ! This will be life like Adam and Eve had it before they sinned without the temptations of Satan.
- Promises to Israel will be fulfilled. The Covenant with David will be fulfilled about his kingdom being established forever (II Samuel 7:16). That kingdom will happen through Jesus during the Millennium. Luke 1:33 says, “And He shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.”
- Christ will Reign– Zechariah 14:9
III. How will we live during the Millennial Reign of Christ?
- Time of Peace– (Micah 4:3). The leader will be Jesus Christ. He is the one who can enforce complete peace in a righteous way. There will be complete peace throughout the earth.
- Time of Joy– (Isaiah 61:7,10). We will have joy because we have been clothed with Salvation and His righteousness.
- Time of Comfort– (Isaiah 40:1-2). Comfort will be established for every person in the Millennium, because God has taken care of our sin and all conflict has ended.
- Time of Prosperity– (Amos 9:13-15).
- Time of Health– (Isaiah 35:5-6). Sickness and disabilities will not be around during the Millennial Reign of Jesus Christ
IV. Why is this important to me?
- To make certain you are saved– II Peter 3:9 (He wants you to be saved)
- To warn others of the coming of Jesus
- To remind us to be thankful for Salvation and Christ’ righteousness in our lives