Recently, I was watching the Duke vs. Maryland girl’s game on television. Duke was winning the entire game, until later in the second half when Maryland decided to make a run. The announcer said that the Maryland coach gave her speech before the game, and the speech said, “you are not coming into this locker room with a loss. You will win this game.” Now, that is a bold statement, but it worked, and Maryland indeed came back into the locker room with a win (in which I was deeply disappointed, because I am an avid Duke fan). She was bold enough to tell her team, we will win this game! With that same confidence, I can say that we as Christians will win this war! I have read the end of the book, and in the end we win! I am 100% confident of it. I am more confident in the win that Christ will bring than the Maryland coach could have been with her prediction.
Here is a quick Review of the prophetic events that are going to take place up until the Second Coming of Christ:
- present the church age
- Rapture of the church I Thessalonians 4 and I Corinthians 15. We have no idea when this takes place. Harold Camping proved that. With the events going on around the world, I would say we are definitely getting closer. This Rapture is the “calling away” of believers to be with Jesus in Heaven.
- The 7 year tribulation begins & the antichrist comes on the scene making peace.
- The antichrist breaks the peace treaty and the great tribulation begins
Now, we are going to look at an event that will take place at the end of the 7 year tribulation. It is called the Second Coming of Christ. Here are a few thoughts about the Second Coming:
I. The Second Coming is not referring to the Rapture
- The Rapture speaks of Christ coming in the air, but not to the earth I Thess. 4:16-17
- The Rapture is the resurrection of Christians to Heaven I Thess. 4:16-17
- The Rapture happens before the tribulation
- The Second Coming happens after the tribulation
- The Second Coming or Second Advent is the literal return of Jesus Christ to the earth at the end of the tribulation Revelation 19:11
II. The Purpose of the Second Coming:
- To Destroy the armies of this earth & the Antichrist in the battle of Armageddon Revelation 19-18
- To judge the Antichrist and the false prophet Revelation 19:20 (they were thrown into the lake of fire)
- To kick off the Millennial Reign of Christ on this earth Revelation 20:3
III. Why is the Second Coming important to us?
Tons of people have heard this lesson taught and preached, and still chose to reject it! After hearing something like this, I could not imagine leaving this place tonight still rejecting the righteous judge as the Savior of this world. Are you saved? If you know the Lord as your personal Savior, you have nothing to worry about. You will be completely safe from this battle, because you are on the Lord’s side! Let me remind you that the Lord’s side always wins. Here are a few reasons why this is important for you:
- The Second Coming is important so that you can make sure that you know Jesus as your Savior
- The Second Coming is also important for us as believers to warn our community about the coming of Jesus!
If you have any further thoughts on the Second Coming of Jesus, feel free to share them in the comment box below. Now, obviously, this is a quick look at the Second Coming, you can check out in more detail Revelation 19:11-21. That explains how Jesus comes, and the battle of Armageddon that will take place when He comes.