TGIF! The excitement is always through the roof when we know that it is Friday! I trust that this newsletter will be informative and better connect you to what is happening in the Grove student ministry. This past week was a HUGE week of ministry for the Grove! We had the opportunity to hear a challenging message from Cletis Titus Wednesday night. Then, Team Jamaica had the opportunity to get to know them after the Grove for a while. Let’s just say, getting to know them made us even more excited about our mission trip to Jamaica this summer. Yesterday and today, we have the opportunity to serve the North Davidson’s JV and Varsity football teams a pre game meal. This is a great opportunity to get another foot in the door at North Davidson. It is an opportunity to build our relationship with the school and the students. I am stoked about meeting the students and hanging with them. Then, tomorrow, we are volunteering at the Miracle League with the junior high which is going to be awesome! Let’s show up big and serve others!
Team Jamaica Update: I am already filled with excitement for Team Jamaica and what the Lord is going to do in/through us on our mission trip. This past week, we had the chance to spend some time with missionaries Cletis and Tammy Titus, who we will be working with while in Jamaica. They shared several needs. One of those being the need for flip flops for the needy in Jamaica. Old Navy has ladies pairs of flip flops for $0.77 right now and men’s at $0.87. You cannot beat that! Flip Flops for under a dollar. They had about 300 pairs as of yesterday. If you are interested in getting some for our Team, that would be a blessing. Just pick them up and bring them to me anytime! You can donate these if you are on Team Jamaica or not! Let’s join together and help reach Jamaica with the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
Featured Event: Tomorrow: the 7th-9th graders will be volunteering at the Miracle League. This was one of our best events. The students love it. They will have the chance to have a buddy and get to know them throughout the baseball game. They help them bat, run, and field. We also have other areas of ministry for our students to serve on this day as well. If your student is not signed up, they can show up tomorrow morning. We leave the church at 8:45 am and return at 1:30 pm. Each student and leader needs to bring money for lunch at Cici’s pizza.
Here are our upcoming events:
- October 14 – Serving North Davidson V football team – This afternoon, The Varsity football team from North Davidson will come to our church at 3:45 pm, and we will serve them a pre game meal. We will need adult, parent, and student volunteers. If you have not signed up but are interested in helping, show up this afternoon. We finish around 5:15 pm.
- October 15 – Volunteering at the Miracle League in High Point – Tomorrow, our 7th – 9th grades will be volunteering at the Miracle League in High Point. Bring $6 for Cici’s. We will leave the church at 8:45 am and return at 1:30 pm. If your student is not signed up, they can show up tomorrow. Also, leaders and parents are more than welcome to attend.
- October 22 – Liberty Scaremare (Cost is $20 per person). We have changed the Scaremare information again. We felt that a 3 hour drive for a 30 minute event was too much. So, we have added dinner and a hockey game into it. The cost is $20.00 per student and includes hockey game ticket, dinner, and entrance into the Scaremare. I apologize for the price jump, but that still is a great rate for what the students will get. We will leave the church at 2:00 pm and return at 1:00 am. Be prepared to be scared! All students/parents/leaders are welcome to attend. If you have any further questions about this, please let us know.
- October 26 – Church Wide Fellowship Meal. This will be to raise money for Team Jamaica to go on their mission trip. All of Team Jamaica needs to be in attendance to get credit. Lori Beard will tell you what you are bringing next week.
- November 12 – Ice Skating. The cost for ice skating will be $5 per person + you need to bring money for fast food in Greensboro (estimated $6). All students can invite their friends as well as parents & leaders are encouraged to attend as well. We will leave the church at 5:30 pm and return to the church at 10:45 pm.
- November 14 – Chick Fil A Night (For Team Jamaica). Make plans to be at the Chick Fil A on Peters Creek Parkway that evening for dinner.
- December 3 – Progressive Dinner– The cost is FREE!!! This date has been changed to December 3rd from December 10th. We are taking signups for the Progressive Dinner. If you are interested in hosting us for a meal during this evening, please see me asap. We need an appetizer home to attend, a main course to attend, and a dessert home to attend.
- January 27-28 – Ski Retreat (registration form with prices listed here). We have some killer deals this year for you! You need to take advantage of these deals and be a part of our ski retreat!
- July 6-13 – WOL Camp
In NEED of YAAC Sign Ups: If you are interested in hosting a YAAC at your home, please let us know. A YAAC simply stands for “Youth Activity After Church.” All we do is simply attend someone’s home for fun, food, and fellowship. It is very casual. You can go in together with several other families for cost purposes. Some YAAC’s are even held here at the church but sponsored by youth leaders or parents. If you are interested in hosting a YAAC, please let me know asap.
We understand that the Grove and everything else that is going on can be overwhelming, but we praise the Lord for you and your student’s faithfulness! I honestly get overwhelmed reading through this newsletter each week just seeing what all we have to do. If you want to know more, you can check out our website for a more exhaustive listing of our events. If you ever have questions or want quick information regarding the Grove, check out our facebook page. You can also follow us on twitter (@ugbcgrove) for instant information regarding the Grove. We count it a privilege to serve alongside of you. Have an amazing weekend!