We are beginning a new series on Prophecy at the Grove this week. I seriously think you need to be there. I will go ahead and give you a sneak peak at what we will be discussing in our first session:
Why is Prophecy so Important?
I John 3:2-3
Bill Gates was introduced to computers at the age of 13. He became intrigued by computers, and sold his first piece of computer software when he was 15 years old. He went to college and then dropped out to begin the company known as Microsoft. When he was introduced to computers, they were big, slow, expensive, and very new. He invested his time and life into computers hoping that one day they would be the thing of the future. He envisioned the future, but there was no guarantee on his part. He had to take a risk. He could not predict the future, none of us can. The only thing that we can predict is the future events that are displayed in the Word of God. The future events that we talk about are called prophecies.
Definition: The word, prophecy, means: The revealing of an event before it happens. You could summarize it by saying, “foretell.” Dictionary describes it as “the foretelling or prediction of what is to come.” Throughout Scripture, we hear of prophets. The word prophet means to be a spokesperson for God of what He wants to communicate to the nation. We see many different prophets specifically in the Old Testament that were placed by God to warn the nation of what is to come. Young person, the Bible is filled with prophecy, and we are going to get into the specific prophetic events soon, but tonight, I want all of you to know that it is important to study prophecy. This is not something that only I should try and know or Pastor, but every one of you in here needs to spend time learning about things to come.
Why is it important to study prophecy?
I. We learn what is going to happen- I John 3:2-3
- I Thessalonians 4:13 says, “But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.”
- God does not want us to be ignorant concerning coming events. He wants us to have an understanding of what is to come! This is why it is so important to study the Word and to get in the Word throughout the week. You need to learn and know what is going to happen.
- Prophecy is there to warn us of things to come- Revelation 20:11-15 (The Great White Throne)
- Prophecy is there to tell us of the good things to come- Revelation 21:4. Can you imagine a life of no pain, tears, or hurt! Without prophecy, we miss knowing about these warnings and blessings that await the believer and unbeliever!
II. We are Challenged to share the Gospel–
- What is the next event that will take place on God’s timeline? The Rapture of the church. This is where we are called away to meet Him in the air. The dead in Christ shall rise first, and then, if we are living at that time, we will be called up to meet Him in the air!
- John 14:3: The promise that He will come again
- I Corinthians 15:51-52– The Rapture will happen in a twinkling of an eye
- Then, the ones who are left behind will be stuck here to endure the tribulation period. The ones who are left behind are the ones who chose not to accept Jesus as their Savior. The fact that the Rapture could happen at any moment should challenge us to share the Gospel with people so that they can join us at the rapture!
- I John 3:2-3– we should be more like Jesus in our actions and attitude than we were last week. We should be representing Jesus through how we live.
III. We are motivated to worship Christ
- When John saw the marriage of the Lamb, he fell down to worship Christ. Prophecy is part of God’s plan to bring us to the place where we want to worship Him.
- We must be motivated to worship Christ for His power, awesomeness, and for His work in providing a way out for those trapped in sin!
- Revelation 4:11 says, “Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.”
- Honestly, the purpose of prophecy is to point us and our eyes to Jesus Christ so that He can be exalted!
- How is your worship tonight?