We did a car wash today to raise money for our students heading to WOL Camp in Hudson, FL. Car washes are fairly easy, and you can raise some serious money. We raised over $800 total for our car wash. The wash was held from 8 am until 1 pm. They are pretty slow at first, but then it picks up around 10 am. Many student ministries, etc do car washes for fund raisers. I put down a few thoughts on how to make car washes successful:
- Advertising. Obivously, you need to advertise. Make sure you have signs at the roads from all angles promoting it. We also parked cars in front of the bank we were doing it at with signs in them.
- Friendliness. I think many people enjoy our wash, because we have a good time talking with them. Our goal is to build some new relationships through this.
- Location. You need to use a busy location.
- Student Led. In our case, we had the students attending the camp. The people paying enjoyed seeing the product of where their money was headed.
- Quality & Speed. Do a GREAT job and do a FAST job.
- Make it donation only. Don’t set a price. In this case, everyone would pay that price. With donations, you will have many people donate well above what you would think, because it is for a good cause.