I am completing my first year of blogging. I sure hope that my blog has been a help and an encouragement to you. I hope that you have been challenged and educated about student ministry, leadership, and church life.
Blogging is a great way to record your thoughts for others to see. It is an easy route to express yourself. Blogging has been around for years, but in my opinion has developed even more over the last couple of years especially in the area of ministry. I began a blog about 3 years ago for our student ministry, and no one ever checked. I thought that it was legit, and I updated it regularly, but it was not big at all. Now, blogging is huge. I regularly read other blog posts about student ministry and leadership. Blogging is an art that you have to learn. Through this process, I have learned several things about blogging. Here are a few of them:
- Blogging is an excellent way to record your thoughts- I am a naturally passive person. I struggle sometimes articulating my thoughts in such a way for people to understand and to grasp. Then, I started blogging, and I have slowly found myself articulating my thoughts much more clearly.
- Blogging is a great way to train volunteers- I have used my blog to put down thoughts about youth leaders. Several of the leaders in our student ministry have read my posts, and been challenged to change something in their life to better fit the role of a youth leader. I was not even going for this, and it worked. What a resource that we can use for easy and quick training for our leadership.
- Blogging is growing- The more that I have gotten into blogging, the more that I have seen it grow. I have come across many blogs that I did not even know existed. Blogging is much bigger than I thought, and it is growing.
- Blogging is a commitment- The number one reason that people do not read your blog is probably because you are not blogging consistently. This is something that you have to commit too. Blogging takes a great deal of dedication from the writer. You must be dedicated before entering the blogging world.
- Blogging is work- It takes work to think of a new thought to pen down for others to read. It takes time and effort to keep the blog up to date, and to make things professional.