I have been out of the office some on vacation and such, and Mark took the reigns. Check out his newsletter to the Grove:
Good Thursday afternoon to you all!!
This is Mark Etheridge for the second straight week. Pastor Josh is on vacation this week, and so he asked me to send out the weekly “Get Connected” newsletter! Here are a few things that have been going on this week as well as a schedule for upcoming events:
It is hard to believe that the summer is almost over! I don’t know if you feel the same as me, but I feel like it just got started! This is my next too last week here at the Grove as a student ministry intern, and this has been the best summer of my life without a doubt, and I am so privileged to be a part of this ministry the way I have been this summer! I will definitely miss being around here once school starts back!
We had a great service at the Grove this week! We had a great crowd, and we also had some new students who came for the first time! We’re continuing through our study of the book of James, and I taught this week out of the end of chapter 3 and went through chapter 4 as well. The main emphasis this section focuses on is humility. I sought to convey to our students that submitting to the Lord is essential, and that humility is what someone must have in coming to Christ for the first time, and that humility should be a lifestyle after coming to Christ. We did a Slip N’ Slide after the service, and this was a lot of fun! The kids really enjoyed it, and so did we as leaders!
Even though the summer is almost over, we still have several events before it ends as well as many things going on as we move into the 2011-2012 school year:
This is just a reminder that the 2011-2012 Word of Life year is approaching quickly. If you have not registered your student online yet, you can do so through our website by clicking on the “Word of Life Registration” link. Please register your student ASAP.
- July 31 – Pot Luck Leaders Mtg. – If you are interested in serving in the Grove for the 2011-2012 year, we want you at this lunch mtg. We will be going over some important information regarding the new year. This is for all Student, College, and Adult leaders who are interested in working in The Grove this coming year. Please bring your leader application to this meeting! Also. each leader is responsible for bringing a meat, vegetable or a salad, or a dessert. Please let us know what you are bringing by tomorrow (Friday). Lori Beard is the contact for notifying what you will be bringing. Make plans to be there for this. We will not be doing a leader Wednesday night this year so this is extremely important that you are present. Brian Baker will be doing small group training, and we will be explaining some new ideas and information for the 2011-2012 WOL year. Also, your spouse is more than welcome to attend even if they do not plan to work in The Grove this coming year. Childcare will also be provided, but please notify us ahead of time so we can know how many people we will need.
- August 1-3 – Jr. High Girls Beach Trip (For questions contact Abby Evans- 336-953-6916)
- August 1 – Grove guys Event to Nascar Speed Park – The cost will be $26.00 per person. The deadline to sign-up is this Sunday, July 31. Please sign-up and be ready to pay your money on this date.
- August 3- Hoedown at the Hege’s- This will be the last Summer Sizzler service of the summer. We will be doing a “Hoedown” theme night at the home of some of our adult leaders, Sammy and Missy Hege. We will be meeting at the church at 5:00 P.M. and will be returning to the church at 8:00 P.M. This service will include worship, food, games, a bonfire, and the students are encouraged to dress ready for a hoedown!!
- August 17 – Parent Night at the Grove – There will be no Grove, but ALL parents of students in the Grove are encouraged to come out to find out some important information regarding the new year. Parents, make plans to attend. This will be a great opportunity to get to know Pastor Josh and his wife Abby, as well.
- August 12-13 – Leadership Retreat – The cost will be $50 per person and ALL leaders are encouraged to attend so we can share the vision for the entire year. The $50 includes zip line, bowling, lodging, and all of your meals. Sign up with Pastor Josh asap. The deadline to sign-up for this event is Sunday, August 7.
- August 27 – Winston Salem Dash Game – The cost will be $9 per person.
- October 22 – Liberty Scaremare (More information coming soon)
- January 27-28 – Ski Retreat (registration form with prices- listed on our website under downloads)
- March 10 – Area Teens Involved
- April 13-14 – Regional Teens Involved
I understand that there is a ton going on, and we are trying to keep you as informed as possible as well as keep the cost as low as possible. I also have listed some long term events on in to 2012 so you can schedule your calendar accordingly.
If you ever have questions or want quick information regarding the Grove, check out our facebook page or check out the website at ugbconline.com. On the website, you will find a helpful Grove page with information and downloads that will be a help to you. Also, please follow us on twitter (@ugbcgrove) for instant information regarding the Grove.